What is a vaccine?
Why do we get vaccines?
VACCINES PREVENT DISEASE
Preventable diseases according to the World Health Organization (WHO)
History of Vaccines
WHAT DOES A VACCINE DO?
Protects us from some viral and bacterial infections by triggering our immune system to equip our bodies to fight that infection
EFFICACY vs EFFECTIVENESS?
Efficacy is how a vaccine performs in controlled clinical trial, using a vaccine group and a placebo group.
Effectiveness is how a vaccine performs under normal circumstances in the real world.
Effectiveness of Seasonal Flu vaccine 2009-2022
TYPES OF MISINFORMATION
- With so much information available, misinformation can occur
- Misunderstandings can happen when people don’t fully understand the subject
- Misinformation can be spread because the person thought they were being helpful
- Disinformation is when people who stand to gain somehow share information that is knowingly false
- Overcoming misinformation can be difficult.
- Sometimes knowing how to separate facts from myths helps
Concerns Are Normal
Vaccination is not risk free, neither is disease.
Concerns can be brought to trusted individuals.